Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Eventful Week

English: Boxer's fracture of fifth metacarpal ...
Image via Wikipedia
It has been most eventful week. My hand is almost fully healed, I finally taken my first quiz of the semester and have already been pulled aside by my sociology professor to tell me that I'm trying too hard.

As I may have mentioned before, I have suffered a boxer's fracture of one of my metacarpals on my right hand (yes, I'm right handed). While I am supposed to be wearing a soft cast most of the day and removing it only to do homework or take notes, I've pretty much disregarded the doctor's orders. Until a few nights ago, I only wore the soft cast to prevent myself from injuring my hands while I sleep. The first night that I went without it, I hadn't done so on purpose. I woke up at quarter till six in the morning and discovered, to my horror, that I'd forgotten to put it on. Once I have determined that I was safe to go without it at night, I have done just that.

As I have said before, I've taken the first quiz the semester. I had been worried about environmental geology. Science has never been my strong suit. The quiz, even as dummed down as it was, was far easier than I had expected to be. Between this and another 100% in my public speaking class, I have a renewed confidence in my education. I have already written almost all of my environmental science term paper and I'm starting the research for my sociology term paper.

And that leads me to this…
My sociology professor noted some frustration from me earlier this week. She called me aside to address my stress. She started speaking to me in a way that suggested that it would be okay if I dropped her course. I assured her that I didn't have the time, or the energy, to retake sociology. I explained to her my goals and my timeframe. When she heard me speak of being a lawyer in my early 40s, she assured me that I would do well in her class. She told me that she has already sized up everyone in class by this point in every semester and that I was the typical A student. When I explained to her how ironic it was to hear that (as a former D student in high school). She confided in me that her high school years were much the same for her as well.

Suffice to say, it has indeed been an eventful week. Sometimes, it seems that we will need to be broken down all the way before we can begin to rebuild. In this instance, my details are not unique.
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment: